hi I’m bruce greif .. longtime listener & supporter but only got involved with the under the hood, after Elevator Music Month in 19
there are some over-arching themes that the Board should address whether I'm elected or not
- WBAI - truly some of the best radio in NYC that NOBODY knows about.
I'm amazed at the programming - I have to stop listening to get any work done
- listenership is low and greying out
- it can't be just "over the air" - today it's phones, Youtube, Alexa ( does your kid even have a radio ?? )
- - put the "community" back in - serious active outreach to advocacy groups, unions, Teens Take Charge - your new members – bring ‘em on
- educating YOU the listener / members that it's YOUR station -you own it, you should participate, you should take care of it – not just send $$
- young people, young people, .. I'll say it again - young people
- volunteers, volunteers, volunteers – when the station was hoppin’ and poppin’ in the 70’s and 80’s there was a 24 hour crowd there doin’ stuff
- call-ins, call-ins, call-ins – talking WITH the listeners, not AT them
EXECUTING ON THE OPERATIONAL BASICS
- Fiscally sound, governance, audits, grants, fundraising
-Protect the station from wolves and termites
- grow listenership, bring in people ignored by mainstream media – they can be very loyal if you’re talking to their concerns
- eyes on the Mission Statement - a wonderful North Star
Our issues are fixable if we can stop arguing and all start rowing in the same direction ( or mostly - hey I'm a realist )
We need to stop talking, makin’ motions, and passing resolutions,
and start DOING – it’s all about the execution – time to crack some eggs
if you wanna be eatin’ that cake later ..
We have some work to do – Join Us
ideas ? thoughts ?? let's chat !!
zarazco@gmail or (516) 400-6273
WBAI FAMILY on Facebook – Jump in – the water’s fine
|Answers to Candidate Questionnaire
||What experience, connections, skills or traits would you bring to the local station board to advance the station's mission?
||Data center operations at large banks, project management, experienced in corporate politics.
||What do you appreciate and value in the station's current operations?
||The non-corp media programming
||What would you like to see improved or changed in the station's current operations?
||Not much - it's pretty good
||Describe what you anticipate would be your top three priorities or areas of focus if you were elected to the local station board.
||Listenership ( esp young people )- social media- awareness on the part of the general public
||Sustainability is an important part of any nonprofit operation. What are your thoughts on how the board can help to improve the station's financial footing?
||More listeners, events, tabling at festivals
||Is there anything else you would like prospective voters to know?
||try to get back to the days when the station was a beehive of activity
we have a lot of work to do .. i think these people can help
I endorse and encourage everyone to also vote for the following candidates:
Ms Scottye Battle
M. Kay Williams